Dishonest construction contractors in New York commit tax fraud. It is a plague in the construction industry!
SIGN THE PLEDGE TO SAY: I am a New Yorker, and we all lose when dishonest contractors commit tax fraud in New York. This ILLEGAL practice impacts all New Yorkers, and New Yorkers won’t stand for dishonest construction contractors.
Tax fraud in the construction industry IMPACTS ALL NEW YORKERS and the STOP TAX FRAUD campaign is here to say that New Yorkers won’t stand for irresponsible construction contractors who operate by stealing wages and not paying their fair share of taxes.
- Every week, New Yorkers lose $20 million in unpaid wages.
- In 2018, New Yorkers were at risk of losing $1.1 billion based on construction industry spending due to unqualified construction contractors committing tax fraud.
- Nearly $500 million lost from premium fraud in the construction industry in NYC alone in 2011.
- In 2011, NYS and NYC lost over $420 million from the way 70,000 construction laborers were being paid off-the-books or misclassified as independent contractors.
- The fiscal costs of employer fraud in the New York City construction industry reaches $761.2 million a year, which includes: $275 million not paid into workers’ compensation funds, $44 million not paid in state and federal unemployment taxes, $56 million in unpaid NYS and NYC person income taxes and $143 million in healthcare costs that are borne by NY and federal taxpayers in Medicaid.
- Sky high construction costs are driven not only by market demand but corruption that makes it impossible for honest companies to compete.
- Tax Fraud is not just a union issue, it affects the entire industry and shrinks public budgets and increases healthcare costs.
Join the fight!
We want to hear your stories! Tell us how tax fraud and wage theft has affected you, your family or friends you know by using our campaign hashtags: #StandUpToTaxFraud and #StopTaxFraud