The New York City and Vicinity District Council of Carpenters (NYCDCC) seeks a creative, proactive, outgoing, and motivated Senior Communications Coordinator with demonstrated experience in building trades, unions, communications, advocacy, and politics, to assist the Director of Communications with the development and implementation of cutting-edge communications strategies that resonate across a variety of media platforms to expand and engage all union audiences. Excellent editing skills are a must.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for storytelling and workers’ rights, the instinct to think outside the box and experiment with new ideas, the ability to work independently, and a strong desire to create communications that support union values.
The individual must have strong interpersonal skills, and can relate to other staff, union representatives, membership, politicians, and the public. The individual must be self-motivated and committed to workplace participation with a focus of working independently.
Direction and Decision Making: Reports to the Director of Communications and works independently.
Qualifications and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years of related work experience in substantive areas that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to write strategic communications pieces for an organization including op-eds, press releases, talking points, newsletters, website content, marketing materials, and website and social media content, including infographics, newsletters, and flyers etc.
- Demonstrated experience working comfortably with WordPress content management platform.
- Demonstrated ability in a professional setting to maximize social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Tik-Tok and other emerging social platforms.
- Demonstrated ability in crafting and implementing a communications strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community partners.
- Familiarity with a variety of technology and platforms including:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat)
- Hootsuite (other social media management/monitoring tools a plus)
- Mailchimp (or database skills a plus)
- Letter writing campaign platforms like Spark Influence and Action Network
- Podcast platforms
- Photography and video creation and editing skills are a plus.
- Experience in SEO preferred
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Director with internal and external communications strategies that supports and drives the Union’s organizing, contract, political/legislative and issue-based campaigns.
- Assist in the creation of communications that persuade opinion and compel action, that highlight the potential of a solid career in the union, and that raise awareness of the effects of tax fraud/wage theft/and greedy contractors have on workers and all hardworking New Yorkers.
- Assist in the development of communication strategy and implementation of campaign and initiatives increase union retention and involvement.
- Quickly summarize documents and translate them into strong pro-union messaging.
- Emphasize the union voice surrounding key issues, initiatives, campaigns, and legislative reform.
- Actively promote the power of member involvement in local, state, and federal politics in communications.
- Work with website design vendors to implement design changes to the website.
- Assist with the design and content creation for key organization publications including the bi-annual union magazine—The Carpenter, as well as the monthly electronic newsletter, brochures, fact sheets, etc.
- Conduct frequent member interviews to be used for social media, newsletters, magazine, direct mail, website, press conferences, etc.
- Assist in the creation and editing of content for a variety of efforts as well as talking points, remarks, quotes, speeches for public events for members and leaders.
- Assist with media relations and social media strategy, to include tactics, implementation, and analyses.
- Assist in growing and developing a variety of content for NYCDCC’s social media channels, marketing programs, and resources and raising awareness of union values, initiatives, and campaigns by creating and sharing interesting, relevant, and engaging content.
- Assist in identifying new and innovative ways to enhance and expand social media presence and outreach to various stakeholders.
- Assist in identifying strategies to engage with national media outlets, reporters, and social media influencers.
- Coordinate and create regular, topical, and timely content a forthcoming union podcast.
- Assist in the exchange of ideas and campaigns with regional councils and the United Brotherhood of Carpenters.
- Manage and utilize Union Fusion and Personify, the union’s internal database and communications system used for sending robotexts/calls and emails.
- Attend events, rallies, press conferences, and visit job sites to take photos for the magazine, social media, and press releases.
- Develop and compile monthly reports and web analytics to inform content creation and set benchmarks and goals to track progress and growth.
- Develop new content and maintain website. Write new stories, create new pages, and solicit updates from other departments.
- Maintain the union’s photo library by taking photos of members on job sites
- Maintain press list with accurate contact information. Current relationships with labor media a plus.
- Establish and maintain internal communications to keep staff informed of the work of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications or NYCDCC leadership.
To be successful, the chosen candidate must be able to manage multiple deadlines and rapidly changing priorities. This position requires a willingness, on occasion, to work on weekends and nights to cover Union-related activities and events.
The New York City District Council of Carpenters offers a very competitive benefits package, including medical insurance (premiums fully paid by employer) as well as an annuity, vacation days, personal days and sick days. This position pays $63,000 annually.
To be considered, please send your resume to Dana Brownstein, Human Resources Director at: email@example.com
Please visit our website at www.nycdistrictcouncil.com for more information on our organization.