The New York City District Council of Carpenters and Joiners of America is a representative body comprised of nine individual Local unions and 25,000 members. The District Council functions as the voice for thousands of New York City’s most dedicated and skilled Carpenters, Millwrights, Dockbuilders, Timbermen, Cabinetmakers, Floorcoverers and Industrial Workers.
We are seeking a Director of Communications to report to our Director of Operations. The Director of Communications will design and direct our external and internal communications strategy. This position is a hands-on role which involves extensive interaction with our members as well as our staff.
- Creating, leading, and implementing all communications strategies geared towards internal and external outreach.
- Developing and maintaining complex internal and external campaigns
- Ensuring effective and consistent messaging and branding
- Improving member outreach and information sharing through more effective use of our web site, newsletter, social networking, and public relations
- Writing executive communications, video and presentation scripts, and news updates to members and potential members as well as internal parties
- Coordinating and directing work of contractors handling different aspects of our communications activities
- Responding to member inquiries.
- Seasoned communications professional with, ideally, at least 5 years experience in communications. Previous communications management experience at a non-profit and/or membership-based organization is preferred. Experience handling communications at more than one organization preferred.
- Must be a self-starter ready to suggest and implement ideas to strengthen the organization.
- Demonstrated experience in developing successful membership-focused messaging and outreach programs
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns, projects, and tasks on an ongoing basis a must.
- Must have experience and be involved in the NYC labor and political environments.
- Experience supporting all levels of management, including executives.
- Strong knowledge and application of online communications strategies and tactics, latest web technologies, tools and best practices.
- Previous experience enhancing and maintaining a corporate website.
- Demonstrated passion for the labor movement and issues surrounding construction workers.
- Strong work ethic and positive, team-oriented attitude.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Marketing, Business or a related field.
- Stellar oral and written communication skills. Bi-lingual a plus.
- Fluent in Microsoft office applications.
Send applications to email@example.com