The Department of Social Services (DSS) is comprised of the administrative units of the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) and the Department of Homeless Services (DHS). HRA is dedicated to fighting poverty and income inequality by providing New Yorkers in need with essential benefits such as Food Assistance and Emergency Rental Assistance. DHS is committed to preventing and addressing homelessness in New York City by employing a variety of strategies to help families and individuals successfully exit shelter and return to self-sufficiency as quickly as possible.
General Support Services (GSS) provides safe and appropriate facilities for HRA’s social service programs. Its many functions include facility planning, design, construction, renovation, repair, maintenance and custodial. There are other building services such as, health/safety program coordination, leasing property management, land use, environmental review activities, contract administration and warehouse operations. GSS plays a major role in HRA emergency preparedness.
General Support Services (GSS) is recruiting for one (1) Carpenter to function as a Carpenter, who will:
• Keep logbook documenting job by work order. Write materials list for job to ensure delivery of materials and equipment.
• Construct/demolish of partitions and drop ceilings. Install/removes doors, counter tops and Constructs built-in furniture units.
• Configure/reconfigure Herman Miller/metal partitions. Installs/removes tile and wood flooring. Installs/demolishes sheet rock and fire proofing and Installs/removes carpeting. Modifies floors for computer loading, Installs windows and constructs concrete forms.
• Repair furniture, window frames and bathroom partitions as required and board up broken doors/building entrances.
• Work from blueprints and performs work in accordance to blueprints and instructions from immediate Supervisor and Supervisor of Mechanics. Interface with architects/engineers through face-to-face meetings on job requirements and give input on field conditions.
• Perform all work in accordance with New York City/State Building Codes. Has intimate knowledge of codes. Keeps current with City/State/Federal Building regulations. Ensures that standards are met. Shares knowledge with co-workers.
• Document work by completing appropriate computer Work Sheets attesting to skill performed, time spend and location of building. Computer Work Sheets are inputted into FMIS System and are used as a control on productivity and overtime usage.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Carpenter acquired within the last 10 years; or
2. Three years of experience as described in “1″ above, plus sufficient training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade or vocational high school to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of approved trade or vocational school training.
The federal government provides student loan forgiveness through its Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) to all qualifying public service employees. Working with the DSS/HRA/DHS qualifies you as a public service employee and you may be able to take advantage of this program while working full-time and meeting the program’s other requirements.
Please visit the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program site to view the eligibility requirements:
In addition, the Human Resources Administration/Department of Social Services offers competitive salaries and the following benefits:
Generous Pension Plans (The New York Employees’ Retirement System);
401(k) and Roth 457 Retirement Savings Programs;
U.S. Savings Bonds Flexible Spending Program;
Health Benefits, Dental, Vision Coverage, Prescription Drug Program;
Training and Professional Development;
Opportunity for Scholarship; College Savings Program;
Paid Holidays and Generous Annual Leave.
IF YOU ARE HIRED PROVISIONALLY IN THIS TITLE, YOU MUST TAKE AND PASS THE CIVIL SERVICE EXAM, WHEN IT BECOMES AVAILABLE, TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT.
MORE INFO AND TO APPLY