The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) is an integral part of the City’s evolving criminal justice system, participating in reform initiatives and strategies aimed to move the City towards a smaller jail system without compromising public safety. The DOC is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff, visitors, volunteers and people in our custody. Importantly, safe jails enable DOC to provide people in custody with the tools and opportunities they need to successfully re-enter their communities. The DOC operates facilities and court commands across the five boroughs with more than 10,000 diverse professionals and knowledge experts.
The DOC seeks to recruit a Carpenter. The selected candidates will be responsible for but not limited to:
• Installs, repairs, and replaces flooring, partitions, window frames and sashes,
door frames and doors, and other related components of buildings and structures.
• Installs, repairs and replaces boardwalks, fences and screens.
• Builds and repairs tool boxes, movable and fixed sashes, doors and wooden office furniture,
playground, park and school equipment.
• Builds and rebuilds truck cabs.
• Is familiar with, uses, and operates both hand and powered woodworking equipment.
• Builds and repairs various types of fire ladders.
• Works from plans and sketches.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Carpenter acquired within the last 10 years; or
2. Three years of experience as described in “1″ above, plus sufficient training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade or vocational high school to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of approved trade or vocational school training.
• Extensive knowledge of power tools, including skill saw, miter saw and jigsaw
• Knowledge of lumber grades and countertop materials
• Capable of climbing on ladders and carrying at least 80 pounds
• Ability to accurately read blueprints and technical drawings.
• Help erect, level, and install building framework with the aid of rigging hardware and cranes
• Inspect and replace damaged framework or other structures and fixtures
• Use levels, rules, plumb bobs, framing squares, and surveying equipment to ensure everything is level
Click here to apply.