The New York City Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) is seeking an outstanding candidate to serve as a Carpenter in the Building Operations Unit within the Division of Administration, Bureau of Operations. The selected candidate will become an integral member of the rapid facility maintenance, setup, and safe condition restoration support teams at the Secure Juvenile Detention Centers located in the Bronx and Brooklyn. Under direct supervision, Carpenters manage building repairs and maintenance at several detention and administrative offices at various locations throughout the five boroughs; complete installation and repairs work involving rough, finish and general carpentry.
The selected candidate for this role will be responsible for the following duties:
• Install, repair and replace flooring, partitions, window frames and sash, door frames and doors, screens, fences and other related components of the building and structures.
• Repair movable /fixed wooden office furniture by inspecting/ adjusting/ correcting/ replacing/ replacing defective parts, to keep equipment in good condition.
• Complete rough/ finished carpentry work by following sketches, layouts, chats, to facilitate the construction and maintenance repair of facilities under ACS purview.
• Build and repair tool boxes, movable and fixed sashes, doors and wooden office furniture playground, park and school equipment.
• Exhibit familiarity with, use, and operate both hand and powered woodworking equipment.
• Work from plans and sketches.
• Supervise assigned personnel.
• Maintain work records, as required.
• Ensure all projects are conducted and completed in compliance with NYC Building Code, Energy Code and all regulations in accordance with Department of Environmental Protection and New York Fire Department (FDNY). Juvenile Justice facilities projects must be completed in compliance with, but not limited to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, and New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).
• May operate a motor vehicle, as required, in the performance of assigned duties.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Carpenter acquired within the last 10 years; or
2. Three years of experience as described in “1″ above, plus sufficient training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade or vocational high school to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of approved trade or vocational school training.
The preferred candidate should possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal; the ability to tailor correspondence and communications to audiences with varied technical knowledge/background; must be comfortable with a fast paced, busy environment where workload, priorities and direct change shift on a regular basis and exhibit the ability to excel and prioritize workload/responsibilities within a result-oriented, face-paced work culture.
Additional preferences for the ideal candidate are:
• Experience with sensitivity towards regulations requirements and nuances associated with working at facilities where children are present
• Knowledge of NYC building code and NYC Fire code
• Knowledge or experience working with web-based management and/or Computerized Maintenance Management (CMMS)
Section 424-A of the New York Social Services Law requires an authorized agency to inquire whether a candidate for employment with child-caring responsibilities has been the subject of a child abuse and maltreatment report.
The City of New York and the Administration for Children’s Services are Equal Opportunity Employers Committed to Diversity
Click here to visit the job website and click the “Apply Now” button.