Job Posting – Communications Coordinator, New York City District Council of Carpenters
The New York City and Vicinity District Council of Carpenters is seeking a Communications Coordinator to assist in the daily operations of the Communications department. This is an excellent growth opportunity to become involved in all aspects of communications related to a large member‐driven organization. We are seeking a keen self‐starter with a sense of urgency and willingness to learn. To be successful, the chosen candidate must be able to manage multiple deadlines and rapidly changing priorities. This position requires a willingness, on occasion, to work on weekends and nights to cover District Council‐related activities and events.
The Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Communications Director with:
– Internal and external media outreach that supports and drives the District Council’s goals related to organizing, contracts, political, legislative and issue‐based campaigns;
– Content development, including copy and design, to be used on a variety of platforms including social media, website, newsletters and magazine;
– Ensuring updates for the District Council’s website are posted on a timely basis;
– Coordination and management of vendors to manage the delivery of department products and services.
The successful candidate must demonstrate that he or she has:
– Prior experience in Communications or a related field (1‐3 years is preferred);
– Bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as Journalism, English, PR, Marketing,
– Labor Relations or Communications;
– Strong writing and copy‐editing skills, including the ability to create and finish copy on tight deadlines;
– Track record in writing news stories or pro‐active media pitching and story placement;
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
– Experience with website content development and updates using WordPress
– Experience with developing web‐based and digital content, new media, social media and internal/external communications materials;
– Prior design experience (including working knowledge Adobe design software);
– Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to comfortably communicate with senior executives, staff and organization members; and
– Ability to work on several projects at once and meet deadlines. The following skills and experience are preferred but not required:
– Knowledge of labor issues;
– Experience working in communications or public relations;
– Familiarity with New York City and New York State press outlets and reporters;
– Familiarity with public affairs, government and politics, particularly in New York City and New York State;
– Experience dealing with senior executives; and
– Photography, videography, web development and graphic design experience.
The New York City District Council of Carpenters offers a very competitive wage and benefits package, including medical insurance (premiums fully paid by employer) as well as an annuity, vacation days, personal days and sick days.
To be considered, please send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples, to Dana Brownstein, Human Resources Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is Monday, June 18th, 2018 at 5pm.
Please visit our website at www.nycdistrictcouncil.org for more information on our organization.