NYC HOUSING AUTHORITY
Job Posting Notice
Under supervision, candidate will perform installations and repair work involving rough finish and general carpentry. Specific duties shall include, but not be limited to the following:
1. Install, repair and replace flooring, partitions, window frames and sashes, door frames and doors and other related components of buildings and structures within various occupied apartments, and American Disability Act (504) apartments.
2. Restore vacant apartments back to rent roll by repairing and replacing various carpentry needs.
3. Repair and replace various shelving, cabinets, interviewer doors and ceilings. Build new wall cabinets, counter tops and bases from sketches and plans for Police Service Areas and Viper Rooms.
Note: Travel to Developments within assigned neighborhood is a requirement, with the frequency determined by the Neighborhood Administrator. This position will cover Queens-Staten Island Neighborhood #2, which includes: Astoria, Latimer Gardens, Pomonok and Woodside.
SPECIAL NOTE: Effective August 16, 2021, all persons newly hired for employment by the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) must provide proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to beginning their employment, except for those who obtain an exception due to medical or religious reasons through the reasonable accommodation process.
After receiving a conditional offer of employment from NYCHA, an applicant for employment must provide proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine within a reasonable period of time. Failure by the applicant to provide NYCHA with proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine will result in NYCHA revoking the conditional offer, unless the applicant obtains an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Any person who begins their employment with NYCHA after providing proof of having received only one dose in a 2-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine, will also be required to provide NYCHA with proof of receipt of a second dose within 30 days of the first dose. Failure to do so will result in termination.
NOTE: IF THIS APPOINTMENT IS MADE ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS PURSUANT TO §65 OF THE NYS CIVIL SERVICE LAW, NO TENURE OR PERMANENCE ACCRUES TO AN INCUMBENT IN THIS POSITION BY VIRTUE OF SUCH APPOINTMENT.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, please visit the link below:
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the qualification requirements before applying to this position.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Carpenter acquired within the last 10 years; or
2. Three years of experience as described in “1″ above, plus sufficient training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade or vocational high school to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of approved trade or vocational school training.
1. For NYCHA employees, this position is open as promotional opportunity only. It is not open on a direct transfer (lateral) basis.
2. For NYCHA employees, preference will be given to employees who have served a period of one year in their current title and level (if applicable).
3. NYCHA residents are encouraged to apply.
This position is also open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate at the top of your resume and cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position through the 55-a Program.
NYCHA has no residency requirements.